McDonald’s serves some adorable fish and chicken sandwiches and beef burgers on its menu. One such sandwich that shines out amongst them all is the Filet-O-Fish, and with this easy Filet-O-Fish copycat recipe, you can now make one just like McDonald’s at home!
McDonald’s offers a lot of variety on their menu, including beef burgers and even chicken sandwiches, for that matter. Unlike any of those options, the Filet-O-Fish is the only sandwich that offers fish as the primary protein!
This sandwich was introduced on the regular menu at McDonald’s in 1965. It initially became a part of the menu as most customers were looking for non-meat-based options to eat during lent. So, McDonald’s corporation came up with a fish sandwich.
Initially, most of the sales of this sandwich used to happen around Lent. However, people liked it so much that McDonald’s made it a regular menu all year round. Now, Filet-O-Fish is a typical sandwich you can find at almost all McDonald’s outlets worldwide!
If you love experimenting in the kitchen, especially recreating fast food recipes at home, this recipe is undoubtedly worth trying. It is effortless to follow, and this article has all the steps and guidelines you need to make this delicious fish sandwich at home. So, without further ado, let us look at the recipe!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish?
- Bowls – Bowls are essential equipment for this recipe, and you will need two medium-sized bowls for the dry and wet coating of the cod, along with a small bowl to make your very own tartar sauce.
- Measuring Cup – To stay as true to the recipe as possible, it is better to get precise measurements of the ingredients needed, and a set of measuring cups will help achieve the same.
- Measuring Spoons – Just like precision matters for the ingredients needed in larger quantities, the same goes for measuring smaller amounts; hence, measuring spoons will be handy.
- Spoon – A regular kitchen spoon will help spread the sauce on the burger buns.
- Whisk – A total of two whisks will be needed for this recipe, one to prepare the sauce and the other to stir the eggs before dipping the cod in them.
- Large Knife – A large knife, preferably a fish knife, as it is more flexible, will help achieve clean cuts of cod fish.
- Chopping Board – A chopping board will be needed to place the fish on while cutting it into portions.
- Plate – Two large plates will be needed for this recipe, one to place the fish before frying and the other to place the fish after frying is done.
- Skillet – A large, shallow skillet will be required to fry the fish.
- Tongs – A pair of sturdy tongs will help flip the fish fillets quite quickly while frying them in the skillet.
- Paper Towel – We will be laying out some paper towels on a plate before placing the fried fish filets on them, as these will absorb all the excess oil.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Filet-O-Fish?
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Filet-O-Fish?
For The Sauce:
- Mayonnaise – To make the tartar sauce for the sandwich, mayonnaise is the base and one of the main ingredients. So, ¼ cup of the same will work just fine.
- Dill Pickle Relish – A tablespoon of drained dill pickle relish will add the necessary flavor to the tartar sauce.
- Lemon Juice – About two teaspoons of fresh lemon juice will help balance out the acidity in this recipe.
For The Sandwich:
- Cod Filet – Cod filet is the hero of this recipe, and a single filet that weighs around 12 oz will work fine for this recipe.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – Panko breadcrumbs are fine and the best for frying, so that we will use a cup of the same for this recipe.
- Eggs – Two large eggs will help give the wet base for this recipe before dipping the cod pieces in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Water – We will mix the eggs in a tablespoon of water to give them a slightly runnier consistency.
- Canola Oil – This will be needed for frying so you can go for about 10 fluid ounces of the same for shallow frying.
- Hamburger Buns – As this recipe will give you four portions, you will need four hamburger buns for the same.
- Cheese Slices – A total of four cheese slices will make up four Filet-O-Fish sandwiches.
- Salt – Lastly, about ¾ teaspoons of salt will be added to the filet once it is fried.
Steps To Make McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish
1. Begin With Preps
The first step for any recipe, whether savory or sweet, is to begin with, the preps. For this recipe, we will be preparing the fish and making the sauce in this step. Begin with preparing the sauce by adding the mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
Whisk them all together and store the bowl in the refrigerator until ready to use. Next, take a cod filet and cut four portions out of it. Whisk together the eggs and the water for the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add panko breadcrumbs to another bowl and keep aside.
2. Fry The Fish
After all the preps are done, you can begin frying the fish. Add the canola oil to the skillet and heat it on a medium flame. If you have a thermometer, you can check the temperature of the oil, as it should not exceed 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now, dip the fish fillets into the egg wash, then cover them thoroughly with the panko breadcrumbs and keep them on a plate. Once the oil is hot enough, fry the fish in the skillet for about 2 minutes on each side. Once done, place them on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain off the excess oil and sprinkle with salt.
Once you are done with everything, you can assemble the sandwich. For that, slice the buns in half and place a slice of cheese on the bottom bun of each sandwich. Top the bottom bun with the fried fish filet.
Then, spread some sauce on the top bun and place it on the fish filet to finish the sandwich. Finally, your homemade Filet-O-Fish sandwich is ready to be devoured!
How Will McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Look And Taste Like?
This wondrous homemade recipe creation looks a lot like the real deal! If kept next to the original filet-O-fish from McDonald’s, this sandwich would look the same as the latter!
The fish filet is perfectly fried and crispy, with a crunchy exterior. Once you bite into it, the interior is soft and perfectly cooked fish filet.
The bun goes well with the filet. Overall, the flavors of the tartar sauce also pair well with the fish filet, making the whole combination taste precisely as you would expect the original version to taste!
Delicious McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish Copycat Recipe
This recipe for McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish is the perfect recipe to try for anyone who loves this sandwich. A few simple ingredients and steps will help you create a copycat of this sandwich, right at home!
For The Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dill Pickle Relish
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
For The Sandwich:
- 1 no. Cod Filet
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 nos. Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 300 ml Canola Oil
- 4 no. Hamburger Buns
- 4 no. Cheese Slices
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
Mix the mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, and lemon juice in a small bowl and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Slice the cod into four pieces and keep them aside.
In a shallow bowl, mix the eggs and water and keep aside.
In a separate bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs and keep them aside.
Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium flame until it reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Dip the cod slices in the eggs, shake off the excess, and coat them with the panko breadcrumbs.
Fry the fillets in oil on each side for 2 minutes, then take them out and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to soak all the excess oil. Sprinkle salt on them.
To assemble the burger, place a slice of cheese on each bottom bun and top them with the fish filets.
Spread the sauce on the top bun of each sandwich and place it on the filet to complete your sandwich. Enjoy with a side of fries!
Serving: 1Portion | Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 580mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you use a different type of fish to make this sandwich?
It is best to use cod for this recipe as it matches the flavor of the OG sandwich from McDonald’s the most.
Can you also add some pepper to the filet?
Yes, if you want to add some pepper for added flavor, you can use a pinch of pepper to the filet.
Is it necessary to add dill pickle relish to the sauce?
You can skip it if you want; however, it won’t taste like the version from McDonald’s.
Can potato buns be used to make this sandwich?
You can use potato buns to make this sandwich if you like.
Can vinegar be added instead of lemon juice to the sauce?
Yes, you can add the same amount of vinegar to the sauce instead of lemon juice if you would like to.
How can you test whether the oil is hot enough without a thermometer?
Drop a tiny piece of cod into the fish to check the temperature of the oil, if it has reached the optimum temperature or not.
What will happen if the oil is a bit too hot?
If the oil temperature is too high, it might overcook the fish from the outside while the inside would still be a little raw.